For the the first time ever, create modernist cuisine in your own kitchen with the interactive eBook version of the award-winning “Modernist Cuisine at Home”, exclusively on Inkling.
FAST COMPANY: "It's been designed, not as a book, but as a personal sous chef."
GIZMODO: "The world's most beautiful cookbook is now a beautiful app."
Using videos, high-res photography, and thoughtful new tools developed for the interactive eBook, you'll discover the science behind the techniques of your favorite avant-garde chefs, and learn how to elevate 400 classic “comfort” food recipes like chicken noodle soup and mac-and-cheese with Modernist Cuisine’s signature tips, tricks, and hacks.
The beloved print cookbook has been meticulously transformed for iPad and iPhone, and includes extras not found anywhere else. In addition to 260 more recipes and 359 more photos than the print version, the interactive eBook includes new features such as 37 cooking technique videos, recipe scaling, and shopping lists that sync between all of your devices. For anyone who is fascinated by the art and science behind what we eat, this is a must-have app.
* More recipes and photos: Explore 416 recipes (including 270 new full recipes based on the print book’s suggested variations), 1,683 photos, and additional hints and tips from the Modernist Cuisine team. All recipes are classified on a scale from “easy” to “advanced”, so you can find what fits your needs.
* Technique videos: Created exclusively for the new interactive edition, 37 videos show important techniques in action, such as how to properly execute the water displacement method or the right way to use a blowtorch on your steaks.
* Helpful tools: We’ve added new tools to make recipe planning and grocery shopping even easier. Find recipes by ingredient and level of difficulty with the Recipe Finder, and then scale the ingredients based on how many people you’re cooking for with the Yield Converter. Before heading to the grocery store, add it all to your Shopping List and check things off as you go. Your shopping list syncs between your iPad, iPhone, and web browser.
* Gorgeous photography: Get up close and personal with Modernist Cuisine’s iconic photography from the comfort of your iPad and iPhone. Tap on any photo or slideshow to use the full real estate of your device, and zoom in on every detail with just a pinch out.
* Step by Step recipe walkthroughs: Dive deeper into a new recipe with a Step by Step. Each Step by Step contains detailed instructions, numbered steps, instructive photos, and even how-to videos to help you master a recipe with ease.
* Embedded links: Curious about what “sous vide” is or where to find xanthan gum? Just tap to find out. Blue-and-white “poptips” provide instant definitions, and embedded web links send you directly to the right places to buy what you need.
* Share: Want to let your friends and family know what you’re about to make? Instantly post anything from inside the book to Facebook and Twitter, and they can access it right away!
* Search: Need to find something quickly? Search the book, your notes, and even Google and Wikipedia, while barely lifting a finger.
* Sync seamlessly: Easily sync between devices with your Inkling account. Add a recipe to your shopping list on your iPad, and then pull it up on your iPhone at the store.
The book is wonderful. The content is amazing, and it really will shake up any conventions a "traditional" home cook might hold. The directions, pictures, and organization of content are all top-notch. The elephant in the room: The price feels high for an app, but if you're even considering this purchase, it means you've probably already weighed this purchase against the print version of Modernist Cuisine. Besides, this cost is likely dwarfed by what you'll be spending on kitchen tools. I found, even at the current price, this was by far the best way to obtain the vast knowledge of Modernist Cuisine. My only complaints are a few of the bugs that appear related to a nascent app. For example, I'm currently completely unable to "log in" to "register" via Facebook, and signing up for the inkling account hung the app (restarting fixed it). Some of the screen transitions feel jerky, even on an iPad Air. Scrolling between chapters has been unreliable on occasion, and sometimes sections jump ahead a little to soon (when I was just trying to view the bottom of a section). None of these affected my rating, however, as they really didn't dampen my experience while I started to digest the contents of this book. I also imagine them easy to fix in future versions.
I like it better than a print book because it can dynamically change recipes based on serving size. I wish the app would remember which page I was on when I switch to another app and then switch back.
I own both the MC full set and MCAH, and I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to look something up when I'm not at home. This app not only has basically the whole MCAH book, it also allows you to scale recipes with one click and shows complete recipe variations, whereas the book only tells you which steps to change. The shopping list feature is also more convenient than most.
If you love good food, and love learning how to cook it, don’t think twice about getting this app. It is expensive, but it contains so many great recipes, and it does an amazing job of explaining how to prepare them. The developers of the app did a great job in taking advantage of turning a book into an app, and the end result is much better than the more expensive book. Some of the recipes are time consuming, but a lot of them can be done without too much effort. Just be aware that buying this book is only a small expense … if you want to make all the recipes, you will be spending a lot more on kitchen tools and “modernist” ingredients.
This is what a cookbook should be. Electronic, searchable, informative, with beautiful photos.
The techniques and tools described in this book are phenomenal! Great app and book.
I would give this app a 5 star rating if, there was an easier way to print the recipes and the shopping list. Inkling makes it a nightmare process to do , and if you do not have a FB account I( I do not and will not) , you can only print two a day. NOT GOOD!
I agree with all the 5-star reviews. I was happy to learn that this is not only an iPad app, but also has an iPhone version. One bug I have found: there is a feature for sending the shopping list by e-mail, but it does not work. It would be handy to plan the dish on the iPad and then mail the list to the iPhone to shop. Most modernist cuisine is marvelous, but some of it amounts to party gags. It is all fun though.
I have a printed one but this app is a pure joy. Book is excellent, app is excellent, i wish we could get one day full mc edition (5 books :) best culinary book in app store for me
This is in my opinion the most interesting cookbook in the world. It gives you a fresh look at ways to approach everyday meals. The print book is very aesthetically pleasing and cool to have on the shelf but not quite as handy as this app. I would love to see an iOS version of the whole Modernist Cuisine book set.
Anytime an app spams me to rate the app, I give it a 1 star review. I paid over $100 for this. Don't spam me to now leave a rating.