The Pillars of the Earth Amplified Edition for iPad, iPhone and iTouch offers a new reading experience. Ken Follett’s beloved epic story leaps from the page to the screen in a multimedia adventure.
This amplified edition of Ken Follett’s international bestselling novel “The Pillars of the Earth,” showcases beautiful video, art and music from the upcoming Starz Originals 8-part epic television event based on the book, as well as exclusive videos with the author about his research and the process of bringing his books to the screen, and an innovative Character Tree that prevents plot spoilers.
Updates to the multimedia app will occur repeatedly while the TV series airs so that consumers who download the app can see exclusive sneak previews.
Produced in partnership with Starz in anticipation of the original television series based on the novel, the Amplified Edition of The Pillars of the Earth invites you to immerse yourself in a medieval world charged with ambition, desire, and lust.
Unique and exclusive features include:
• An interactive Character Tree, housed in a virtual stained glass window, grows as characters are introduced in the book, allowing the reader to learn more about the selected characters and their corresponding relationships. As the story progresses, the stained glass window becomes more intricate and reveals more and more about the characters.
• Contextual video footage and still images are carefully blended into the eBook from the corresponding section of the Starz series, so readers can choose to watch beautiful clips of cathedrals, horses and men in shining armor inside the eBook. Or if they prefer, they can watch the clips as well as longer scenes in another section of the app.
• Ken Follett’s multimedia Diary, which is the author’s on-set impressions of the process of bringing “The Pillars of the Earth” from page to screen.
• Behind-the-scenes insights into the making of the event series, looking at how the filmmakers captured Follett’s vision and created the medieval world of “The Pillars of the Earth,” including interviews with the actors, director and producers.
• A Listening Lounge features music – including hymns, soundtrack themes, and battlefield scene scores – from the miniseries.
• A sneak preview of Ken Follett’s next book.
• All multimedia content is embedded into the app rather than streaming over a wireless or 3G network, for your uninterrupted enjoyment (even if you are in transit or have a spotty internet connection at home).
• Due to the vast amount of rich content (approx 1.6 G), please allow time for downloading - 30 minutes or more on a typical operating system.
• Do not attempt to download this product wirelessly. Download in the App Store on your computer and transfer to your iPhone/iTouch by synching your apps.
• Play video in landscape mode for optimal viewing.
• If a video does not appear, or is taking a long time to load, tap on the upper right corner of the screen to zoom and refocus.
Penguin Group (USA) [www.penguin.com/pillars]
I first read this novel when I was 15 years old. I am now 37 years old.At first I was apprehensive on it,but I am so happy I gave it a chance! Granted,a couple months later I suffered a brain injury,but that makes my review that much better,because it is THAT WELL DONE OF A NOVEL! I eventually re read the book,ok,20 years later or so...but I did! & I love the a equall,World Without End! I read both books before seeing the films. THANK YOU KEN FOLLETT...WELL DONE! -Jolene Kautzer
This app is amazing! Not only does it contain the entire original book, already making it worth more than its $13 price tag, it includes plenty of bonuses from the Starz miniseries. Music from the show, character descriptions, video clips from the show interlaced with the novel, set designs, bonus videos, and more make this app a great buy for fans of the novel, miniseries, or both!
I fell in love with this book years ago...I am a huge fan of cathedrals and architecture, as well as a great Ken Follett fan. I am new the Ipad world, and this app is difficult to read in it's standard mode (1X) and fuzzy in 2X mode. While the tie-in to the Starz miniseries is nice, the videos appear choppy and and blurry. You have to rotate from vertical to horzizontal format when viewing videos... And, so far, no links to actual cathedrals that are mentioned in the book. My favorite book is a huge coffee table book of Pillars, with incredible pictures of cathedrals of other buildings from the time period. Finally, reading the book in 2x mode gets me a decent page size but the text is fuzzy... Also, has locked up twice with a blank screen...I am serious thinking of asking my my money back! I am hugely disappointed!