A CONCISE HISTORY OF THE MIDDLE EAST by Arthur Goldschmidt, Jr. and Lawrence Davidson (unabridged) is presented by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see FEATURES, below).
“This is a text that breathes life into the history it presents…” (Joel Gordon, University of Arkansas)
The ninth edition of this widely acclaimed text has been revised to reflect the latest scholarship and most recent events in the Middle East. As an introduction to the history of this region from the beginnings of Islam to the present day, the book is distinguished by its clear style, broad scope, and balanced treatment.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling on a tiny screen. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the exact same 5-star recording offered elsewhere at much higher prices. It was professionally recorded by Blackstone Audio’s Earphones® Award-winning narrator, Tom Weiner. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
…I can only offer unmixed praise for the new edition of A Concise History of the Middle East…Their narrative…is sparklingly clear and straightforward for even the ‘general reader’.” (Mark Seifter, Lehigh Carbon Community College)
• EXPERIENCE. About 18 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends or Twitter feed.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for books, functions, and features. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.
RATING: Suitable for anyone interested in the Middle East and its history.
The ninth edition of this widely acclaimed text has been extensively revised to reflect the latest scholarship and the most recent events in the Middle East. As an introduction to the history of this turbulent region from the beginnings of Islam to the present day, the book is distinguished by its clear style, broad scope, and balanced treatment. It focuses on the evolution of Islamic institutions and culture, the influence of the West, the modernization efforts of Middle Eastern governments, the struggle for political independence, the course of the Arab-Israeli conflict, the roles of Iraq and Iran in the post-9/11 Middle East, and more.
This is a great app for anyone interested in increasing their knowledge of the Middle East. It seems to be at the level of an entry level college course. It is very concise and is not bogged down with boring details and obscure dates and events. It is relatively unbiased and focuses on presenting facts and letting the listener draw conclusions. The voice reading is an adult male with a deep voice speaking English without any accent. There are features that allow the listener to speed up or slow down the reading (and obviously rewind, fast forward, skip, etc.). I have read two of Ahmed Rashid's books (Taliban, Descent into Chaos), so I have an average understanding of the Middle East, yet this app was immensely helpful in improving that knowledge. It starts with a concise history of the Middle East prior to Islam, then discusses Muhammed and the early Arab conquests, and continues through, ending with a chapter about the war on terror. Each chapter is anywhere from 30-50 minutes, I believe the longest is 1:30. There are 22 or 23 chapters I believe. I give it two thumbs up and am glad I bought it.